Controlled Bolting Services

Petracarbon specialises in Controlled Bolting with technicians and equipment to ensure properly closed connections on any bolted joints.

Our tools are developed in accordance with globally recognised standards such as TUV, ISO, DNV and our trained and experienced technicians are skilled at using modern hydraulic and pneumatic bolt torquing and tensioning equipment to ensure that leak-free bolting connections are achieved safely and competently with the correct bolt loads.

We have the right bolting solutions for your facility, to provide the controlled bolting results required.

Bolt Tensioning

Hydraulic bolt tensioning is a preferred method of tightening bolts in many industries due to the numerous advantages for both installation and removal.  Ease and speed of operation, which can be simultaneous, give downtime reductions, reduce costs and increase productivity for tightening critical bolted joints.

Unlike conventional methods, it does not use torque and does not require any forceful turning of the nut or bolt, like impact wrenches, flogging spanners or hydraulic torque wrenches.  All of these methods have one common enemy: FRICTION.  Overcoming thread friction and friction between the nut and the washer uses up over 80% of the torque energy applied to the nut or bolt, leaving less than 20% of the energy to produce useful tension in the shank of the bolt.  Variations in this friction loss, from bolt to bolt causes non uniform tension in bolts that have been tightened to the same torque or impact wrench setting.

Bolt Torquing

A hydraulic torque wrench is designed to exert torque on a fastener to achieve proper tightening or loosening through use of hydraulics.  A torque wrench is applied to the nut either directly or in conjunction with an impact socket.  Hydraulic torque wrenches directly apply a predetermined, controlled amount of torque to a properly lubricated fastener, eliminating the guesswork necessary with stud tensioning and turn of the nut methods of bolting.

Hydraulic torque wrenches are of one piece construction, easily operable by one person.  Hydraulic torque wrenches also dramatically increase worker safety and efficiency.